Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A Beginning

This is not the first time I've attempted to start a blog. I had one going for about 4 entries several months ago, where I was trying to present usability and design advice in a Jakob Nielsen-esque "this is how you should do things." But I realized rather quickly that limiting myself to usability design (and then requiring myself to write in a prescriptive manner) was far too restrictive.

So I'm letting myself branch out a bit. I want to focus on talking about design, but not limit myself. I tend to let my mind wander on to vaguely philosophical topics and I don't want to stop myself from talking about those things if I think others may find it interesting. And, more importantly, I don't want to write from a "do things this way" point of view because, while I have skill and experience, I don't know everything, and I don't think it's particularly responsible of me to claim that my ways of thinking will work for others.

I'm also letting myself (temporarily) disregard the visual design of this blog. I spent some time customizing templates the last time I tried to make a blog and, in retrospect, I realize I was valuing style over content. Maybe that's the first lesson I learn as a blogger: a good-looking nothing is still nothing.

No comments: