Monday, February 2, 2009

michaelhisten.com 3.0



It wasn't that long ago that I did a redesign of my portfolio website, www.michaelhisten.com. It was not a very dramatic change, it mostly focused on enhancing the content and involved adding my beloved color switcher. But as I started writing more in this blog, I realized I wasn't listening to a lot of my own advice when it came to my own site.

I was concerned about a few things -- one, the level of simplicity of the old site was so extreme that I was worried people would assume that's all I could do. To make up for that, I've ditched the "no graphics" concept and used some imagery and gradients, including using the font FD Helwoodica, an all-lowercase distressed take on my favorite font, Helvetica.

But perhaps my biggest issue with my site was that I was falling victim to that perennial trap -- thinking my content was more interesting than it was. Some site statistics bore this out, but basically, people didn't bother reading much of any of the content pages and just went straight for the portfolio section. To top it off, my portfolio examples did not have thumbnail imagery to give you a preview until you clicked on the name of a project. This, combined with some research into how other designers out there are presenting their profiles, led me to embrace the idea of a one-page website.

Yup, just one page, there's nothing more than what you see when you land there. Of course, clicking thumbnails gives you larger views (much larger than before -- more than twice as large, in fact) of each project, but now all those projects are front and center. I think the end result is that people will get a quick glimpse of what I can do, and they can then read a little bit in the area at the bottom of the page, and then I encourage them to contact me for more. If they want to read more about me and my design philosophy, the blog is right here. All in all, I'm very happy with the update.

Oh, and that color switcher is still there -- I still love the idea of giving visitors a little interactivity!

No comments: